Monday, April 29, 2013

Monster's and People.....The cake pop family


Monster’s and People…..The cake pop family

 

Hello everyone and welcome to another entry of What’s Pinning?!

This week I’ve decided to make cake pops for the kiddies. They wanted me to try and make an annoying orange cake pop. I hate to say it but I failed miserably as you’ll see in the photos so I chucked the idea and went with something totally different. Cake pop people and monsters, it ended up working out a whole lot better and the kiddies LOVED them. I love making cake pops, the decorating ideas are endless. Pairing different cake recipes with different frostings and chocolate flavors puts these little treats at the top of my list.  I’ve also posted some pictures of some past cake pops that I’ve done. I really enjoy sharing with you all and as always ideas, pins, and great conversations are welcome.

 


Cost of materials:

Your favorite cake recipe or store brought mix

Lollipop sticks: $2.49 @Micheals

Cake pan: I used an aluminum pan. It cost me .79cents but feel free to use whatever your comfortable using.

Styrofoam block: $1.29  @Michaels

Icing: I brought the Pillsbury creamy vanilla $2.79

Chocolate candy melts: $2.49 @Michaels I used one

Decorations: (sprinkles, eyes, edible dust etc) Varies For this project I used eyes, and chocolate writing pens. I ended up just cutting them open and emptying them into small microwavable containers.

 

Total Project Price =  $9.06 based on prices shown it could be a little more

 

Project Difficulty:  Easy to Moderate

Time Taken: This is tricky because of various recipe times and decorating but taking a wild guess I’d say that with baking, cooling, refrigeration, chocolate melting and decorating approx. 2-3 hours. But this is a guess.

What I did

I used a store brought cake mix for this one, I am a big fan of homemade but I will use a cake mix when I’m trying out a new decoration, or if I’m pressed for time. It comes out well either way. I followed the directions on the box baking for the recommended time. After it was done (stuck a toothpick in the middle and it comes out clean, not wet.)  I let the cake cool completely for about 20 minutes. I cut the cake into four equal pieces, then trimmed off the tops and any hard edges. I like to use a grater to get the cake pieces really crumbled but you could always take two pieces and rub them together. Make sure there aren’t any big pieces. 2 equal pieces makes about 12 cake pops. I then spooned a little less than half of the icing on top of the two pieces of grated cake. Don’t use too much or else it will be too moist and not hold up well. Mix well. I then rolled the crumbs into balls (I used a tablespoon to help me measure) and placed them in the fridge for 35 minutes. Now it was time to melt the chocolate, if you haven’t already checked out my chocolate melting tutorial check it out at the link below. (Don’t forget to put the 1tbs of vegetable oil before melting, it helps it to come out smooth and shiny just great for dipping) I took the cake pops out of the fridge and stuck the lollipop stick that has been dipped into chocolate (it acts as glue) in half way. I then put them back in the fridge for 5 minutes and let them sit for about 5 minutes  after taking them out before coating them in chocolate. This is because if the cake pop is too cold then coated it ma crack. Alternately if it is not old enough it can fall off while coting or even after its been coated. Then time to decorate. The good thing about cake pops is that you can get really creative with them. Enjoy.

 
                            
 
           It's best not to leave the cake balls around crumbs, they got stuck so I had to wipe them off.
 
 

 

Lollipop stick dip in chocolate than stuck halfway into cake ball
 

                                                              Dried and waiting to be decorated

             Notice the shine.....Thanks to the vegetable oil

                                                                               
 

                                                                        The Cake Pop Family



The Monsters..................................................The People
 
 
 
 
 
 

My failed attempt at annoying orange
And yet another one



                                                              My daughters favorite monster
 

                                                     Rainbow cake pops cream cheese flavored

 
 
Watermelon Cake Pops Strawberry flavored
 
                      

                                                 Mini Chocolate Chips inside the watermelons

Toad Cake pops Marshmallow faces and Cake pop head
 
Thank you for stopping by.


 






Don’t forget to follow me on www.pinterest.com/jadex7
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment